Thursday 1 September 2011

Welcome

I have been reading quite a few blogs on adoption since early in 2011 and thanks to a colleague at work decided that I should learn how to blog by documenting my journey.   This is quite an accomplishment for me as I am not the world's most technological person and so this is rather a steep learning curve!  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I hope this blog helps my family, friends, students and their families, and colleagues stay up to date with the latest happenings.  Things seem to be moving very slowly at the moment and I have already had to readjust my timelines.  In a note I sent to a few families this summer, I said I am learning the adoption process is something I have little control over - hard for those of us that are teachers, as control seems to come with territory.   I had hoped to have my homestudy completed before my trip to England, but ended up finishing it upon my return.  I am waiting for a final copy to read before it goes to the director of my agency and then the Ministry.   A big thank you here to my wonderful social worker.  I will miss our evenings of tea, cookies and conversation.
I was planning to apply for an international adoption (it seems at the moment from an other mother's blog that it is best not to name the country) so that's why I am following the happenings in three countries.  In regards to the country I thought I had chosen,  I am having to do some serious thinking and reflection because of the age of the child I will be referred.  I had hoped to bring home a two - four year old but due to my age (yikes - I'm being made to feel old) it is likely they will only offer me an older child.  This child would likely be six when I bring him or her home.  Consequently, I am also going to be posting a 'waiting parent profile' on the Canada Adopts website.  This is a site that Canadian birth mums can use to find approved waiting parents.  I think my side of this journey is tough, but I can't begin to imagine the decision, heart ache and anguish these women are going through.  They are doing an incredible thing for their baby!    All the agencies I have visited have told me I don't stand too much of a chance on their domestic lists.  Being single has a few advantages (you can buy fruit when it is really expensive or those fancy little containers of ice-cream) but it isn't one in this journey.

 I will have a busy September what with back to school, preparing and submitting a dossier to my country, and writing a 'Dear Birth Mother' letter.  Another type of placement available in B.C. is a direct placement.  This is where a birth mother or mother/parent that knows me, or of me, and wants to put their baby or child up for adoption can ask for placement with me.  I knew of this thanks to Adoption 101 at AFABC ( a fabulous group of people - I can't do anything but sing their praises) but hadn't really thought about it to much.  Being reminded of direct placement at my adoption education program this summer made me think about "coming out" so to speak with the adoption process.  The more people that know what I am doing the greater my chances of possibly having a direct placement.  There we are, I've said it!


I can't begin to thank all of you for your kind words, support, encouragement and patience.  I don't know where to start, or who to start with, all I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you.  My child is going to have so many special people in his or her life.  It is amazing!  Please keep me in your thoughts, hopes and prayers.  A very special thank you to K&R for enabling me to complete my home study.