Monday 19 November 2012

Here are a few must have books!

I thought I would post a few books I have found.  On my way back from the doctor's a slight detour takes me past Kids Books which is the deadliest place for my debit or VISA card!  Here are a few finds.  (Note my friends in the USA, the links are to Amazon.ca but you can find all these on Amazon.com)

Book #1


http://www.amazon.ca/Have-Little-Problem-Said-Bear/dp/0735822352
I was sitting looking at books and this was one was face out on a shelf.  I read it and couldn't resist it.  I got the paperback copy and can't wait to read it to a little one.  It is one of those books that is good for snuggling.  Bear has a problem and nobody listens to him. Everybody assumes they know what his problem is and jump in to help.  It isn't until the end of the story that the final character he meets takes the time to listen.

Book #2

http://www.amazon.ca/I-Have-Right-Be-Child/dp/1554981492/ref=sr_il_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353357123&sr=1-1
This one is absolutely wonderful but for a slightly older child 8 plus to really "get" the idea of rights but a good book to discuss with the 6-8 the things they have as a child.  Interestingly the book ends by saying the USA hasn't yet signed the "United Nations Convention on the Rights of The Child".  I bought this book about three weeks ago and when I read my school newsletter this morning I discovered  that National Children's Day is tomorrow, Tuesday, November 20.  "This day commeorates the The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of the Child (November 20th, 1959)  and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (November 20, 1989).  The purpose of National Children's Day is to promote awareness about the Convention on the Rights of the Child.  On this day, we take time as parents and educators, to educate our children about their rights and responsibilities as Canadian citizens." (McKechnie Elementary newsletter - November 2012)  It wasn't until I got home and was reading this book that I realized my future child's country signed the Convention as has Vietnam, Honduras, Sri Lanka, Columbia, China, Congo, Repbulic of Korea, Ethiopia and Guatemala.  (I think I've got most of you on the list!!!)  There are 193 countries that have signed!  Leave me a comment if you want me to check the list in the back of the book.

Book #3
http://www.amazon.ca/Shades-People-Sheila-M-Kelly/dp/0823423050/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353358251&sr=1-1
For those of us whose children eventually ask why they are a different shade than us, or simply to talk about racial diversity with young children, this book does a fabulous job at beginning to address the issue.  It talks generally about the different shades of people in society and has a ton of wonderful pictues.  It uses words like creamy, ivory, sandy, peach, coffe, rose, almond, cocoa, copper, tan, almond!  It also says our skin is like "wrapping paper" (gift wrap for those of you south of the 49th) and you can't tell what someone is like from the colour of their skin.   I really liked the page, "Even in the same family there can be many shades". This is a must have and great book for young ones on multi-culturilism and acceptance.

Book #4

http://www.amazon.ca/Kindness-Quilt-Nancy-Wallace/dp/076145313X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353359124&sr=1-1
 Mina, a rabbit, can't decide which of her acts of kindness to write about for school so she makes a quilt showing a number of them.  Her classmates and then her school add to the quilt!   This should be on Oprah's booklist for children!!!!   Go read the reviews but it is quite delightful.  I am going to save it and read it to my class in February for a frienship/Valentines theme.  We will make a quilt and invite other classes to join us. 

Finally for today, in a previous post I wrote about "I Wished For You".  This is a must have book for any family that has or is adopting. I now have two big teddy bears (different shades) from Costco ($8.99 each) to go with the book.  I can't wait to be able to snuggle up with my little one and share this delightful story.

http://www.amazon.ca/I-Wished-You-Adoption-Story/dp/1934082066/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353359915&sr=1-1

One last book I have to share is Pete the Cat.  I had heard about it from a friend and finally ordered it from my September Scholastic.  It is a great book about teaching kids to not let things bother them and being flexible and going with the flow.  My students (6/7 years) loved it and it seems to be a hit with younger kids.


http://www.amazon.ca/Pete-Cat-Love-White-Shoes/dp/0061906220/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353360142&sr=1-1
For a live retelling by the author Eric Litwin on You Tube, click here.

I hope I have encouraged you to go and do a little bit of shopping either at Amazon (great free shipping deal in Canada at the moment) or at your local bookstore.  Now for some lunch and then my report cards which I have being procrastinating by this blog post! 

1 comment:

  1. Great list! Thank you for adding to my Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete