Friday 17 August 2012

Childhood Canada Cancer Foundation

I am participating in Kate's, Lucy's mum, Fun Friday blog event.  Lucy is in the process of returning to school and Kate's topic this week is to do with special needs children returning to school.  At the bottom of the right hand side of my blog I have links regarding adoption and schools and teachers, but thought I would look up some info for Kate's topic.  I have been teaching for 21 years and haven't taught a child with cancer or returning to school after cancer yet.  I have had numerous children with special needs.

The Childhood Canada Cancer Foundation has a page devoted to helping teachers and schools deal with this topic.  I know this is a little different twist/view on Kate's topic but perhaps this information might be helpful to Lucy's teachers and any other teachers out there that are reading this.  The first video is a grade one teacher talking about how she helped a child return to school.  The hardest part for me was when she said that saying, "No," to this child so she was treated like the other kids was important.  I know this is best but it just seems so cruel.  Look at sweet, little Lucy and try to say, "No" to that face.    Later down the page they talk about students returning to school.

One of the most important things is to get a letter home to Lucy's class and Ella's class that if classmates have colds, chicken pox, Fifth Disease, anything like that they STAY home.

Kate, I hope this helps a little.

3 comments:

  1. Great information! Thanks for sharing. I'm visiting from Kate's blog party~

    Lisa @All That and a Box of Rocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am visiting from Kate's blog. I have enjoyed reading your story... I went back and read from the beginning. I'm so sorry for all the ups and downs you've been having with your adoption. I know the process is long and stressful, full of fits and starts, but hang in there. It will all be worth it someday.

    I have three adopted children (from China) - two girls and a boy. (The boy came via the waiting children's program). So I know a bit about what you're going through. Although, not entirely, since your country is different.

    I wish you lots of luck and smooth sailing from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you K for your encouragement. I am finding it a real challenge to stay positive at the moment and it is people who have weathered the adoption storm, so to speak, that know what this process is truly like. The country I am adopting from doesn't have a matching system so even though originally I thought this might make things easier and faster, it doesn't seem to be working that way.

    ReplyDelete